Not updating pages

We have moved on .So not posting new material. Material on site will be kept for you.Hope we helped!!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Practice English Test for All Entrance Exams

Practice English Test for All Entrance Exams

Free Online English Test

Direction : In each question below are given two sentences numbered I and. II.

In these sentences, two homonyms are given in italics type, which may be either

miss-spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences

carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the italicized words.

Give answer

(a) If only sentence I is correct

(b) If only sentence II is correct

(c) If both the sentences I and II are correct

(d) If I as well as II are incorrect, but-both could be made correct by interchanging the

italicized words

(e) If neither I nor II is correct and the sentence could not be made correct by

interchanging the italicized words

1. I. An ordnance declaring Presidents rule in the state has been issued today.

II. The ordinance depot is situated –far away from this city.

ANSWER: (d): [Ordinance = enactment; Ordnance = military stores]

2. I. You should not interfere in one’s personal affairs.

II. The personal of ICS were proud of their positions during the British rule in India.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in II should be ‘personnel’

[Personal = private; Personnel = body of persons employed in a department]

3. I. The Government plans to take some sanitary measures in the state.

II. The sanitary condition of the town is not good.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word' in I should be sanatoria.

[Sanatory = promoting health, Sanitary: hygienic]

4. I. This drawer is the depositary of my private letters.

II. Now a days it not wise to be depository of other’s valuables.

ANSWER: (d): Depository = place where anything is deposited'

[Depositary =one with whom a thing is deposited]

5. I. This is the best stationary shop in our locality.

II. I saw a stationery van there.

ANSWER: (d) [Stationery = a shop selling writing materials, Stationary = immobile]

6. I. Ghosts are not corporeal beings.

II. Saints care little for corporal affairs.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in. II should also be ‘corporeal’

[Corporal = bodily; Corporeal = having body or material]

E.g. Corporal punishment is not justified.

7. I. He is respected for his pity.

II. Have pity on the poor.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in I' should be ‘piety’ [Pity = compassion; piety = piousness]

8. I. I think this electric metre is faulty.

II. I require two meters of cloth for this Purpose.

ANSWER :(d) : [Meter = a measuring apparatus, Metre = unit of length]

9. I. His manners are urban.

II. People of urbane area are civil in manners.

ANSWER: (d): [Urbane = courteous; Urban = pertaining to city]

10. I. Living organisms tend to have an inbuilt system to adopt themselves to changing environment.

II. He is an adapt criminal.

ANSWER: (e): The correct word in I should be ‘adapt’ and that in II should be 'adept’.

[Adapt = change accordingly; adept = skilled; adopt = to take recourse to]

E.g. Do not adopt' foul means to earn] money.

11. I. He won the election only because of the support he got from his zealous party workers.

II. Savita’s friends were jealous of her success in the prestigious competition.

ANSWER: (a): The correct-word in II should be ‘Jealous’.

12. I. It is a naughty problem.

II. Suresh is a naughty boy.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in I should be `knotty.’

[Naughty = wicked, Knotty = difficult to solve]

13. I. I saw a horde of nomads.

II. Ali Baba found out the hoard of robbers’ gold and jewels.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word -in I should be ‘horde’.

14. I. He ought to have persecuted his studies.

II. Trespassers will be prosecuted.

ANSWER: (c): [Persecute = to pursue, Prosecute = treat cruelly]

15. I. Some of the African immigrants indulge in smuggling in our country.

II. Many emigrants from India- have settled in America.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in II should be ‘migrants’.

[Emigrant = one who leaves his country to settle in any other country;

Immigrant = one who enters a country to settle-there]

16. I. Order for ten bales of cotton.

II. He was released on bail.

ANSWER: (d): [Bale = bundle; Bail = security]

17. l. The tenor of his speech was not clear.

II. His tenure of office is drawing to a close.

ANSWER: (e): The correct word in I should be ‘tenor’ and that in IL should be ‘tenure’.

[Tenor = general "meaning, Tenure = duration of holding office]

18. I. Don’t merge your hand in hot water.

II. A dolphin emerged out of the ocean.

ANSWER :( b): The correct word in I should be ‘immerge’

[Immerge/Immerse = to dip into; Emerge = to come out]

19. I. This dress does not suit you.

II. He filed a civil suit against Mr. Arora.

ANSWER :(a): The correct word in IT should be ‘suit’.

[Suit = case to fit; Suite = attendants or followers of a person]

e.g. The prince and his suite took shelter in a cave.

20. I. He drank a draut of wine.

II. Crops failed due to draut.

ANSWER :(e): The correct word in I should be ‘draught’ and that in II should be ‘drought’.

[Draught = act of swallowing without taking breath, Drought = want of rain]

21. I. An over-doze of this medicine might be harmful for you.

II. You are not allowed to dose in the class.

ANSWER: (d): The correct word in I should be 'dose' and that in II should be 'doze’

[Dose = quantity of medicine to be taken at a time, Doze = to slumber for short periods]

22. I. Despite all our efforts, success remanded elusive.

II. His manners are illusive.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in Il should be ‘illusive’

[Elusive = difficult to grasp, illusive = deceptive]

23. I. Deepak did not get involved in the scandal on account of his friend’s wise council.

II. Some of the members of the council walked out in protest during the session.

ANSWER: (e): The correct word in I should be 'counsel' and that in Il should be ‘council’

[Counsel = opinion; Council = assembly]

24. I. We look for the date and day in a calandan.

II. Sheet rubber is made by passing rubber through calendars.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in I should be ‘calendar’

[Calendar = a roller-machine]

25. I. Painting is done on canvass.

II. He was canvassing for votes.

ANSWER: (d): [Canvas = a tough cloth, Canvass = to propagate]

No comments:

Post a Comment